The original CliffsNotes study guides offer expert commentary on major themes, plots, characters, literary devices, and historical background.
In CliffsNotes on Moby-Dick, you follow along this great American novel; the turbulent and adventurous story of a sea captain's obsession with a white whale.
This study guide shares a story about defiance, friendship, duty, and death -- all immersed in symbolism, such as the white whale, itself. You'll gain comfort with the dark and complicated plot as you move through critical commentaries on each of the novel's 135 chapters. Other features that help you figure out this important work include
- Life and background of the author, Herman Melville
- Analyses of the characters
- Introduction to the novel
- A review section that tests your knowledge and suggests essay topics
- A selected bibliography that leads you to more great resources
Classic literature or modern-day treasure -- you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.