The original CliffsNotes study guides offer expert commentary on major themes, plots, characters, literary devices, and historical background -- all to help you gain greater insight into great works you're bound to study for school or pleasure.
In CliffsNotes on James' The American, you follow the arrival of a rich American in Europe in search of wife.
Looking inside the realism of a novel that focuses on a class of people who can afford to enjoy the refinements of life, this study guide focuses on the life and background of the author, the novel's characters, and the following:
- Introduction to the novel's structure
- Chapter-by-chapter summaries and commentaries
- Critical essay on meaning through social contrast
- Analysis of James' use of foreshadowing, symbolism, and point of view
- Essay topics and review questions to help polish your knowledge